Re: define PG_REPLSLOT_DIR

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: define PG_REPLSLOT_DIR
Date: 2024-09-03 00:15:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 30, 2024 at 12:21:29PM +0000, Bertrand Drouvot wrote:
> That said, I don't have a strong opinion on this one, I think that also makes
> sense to leave it as it is. Please find attached v4 doing so.

The changes in astreamer_file.c are actually wrong regarding the fact
that should_allow_existing_directory() needs to be able to work with
the branch where this code is located as well as back-branches,
because pg_basebackup from version N supports ~(N-1) versions down to
a certain version, so changing it is not right. This is why pg_xlog
and pg_wal are both listed there.

Perhaps we should to more for the two entries in basebackup.c with the
relative paths, but I'm not sure that's worth bothering, either. At
the end, I got no objections about the remaining pieces, so applied.

How do people feel about the suggestions to update the comments at the
end? With the comment in relpath.h suggesting to not change that, the
current state of HEAD is fine by me.
--
Michael