Re: Better error message when --single is not the first arg to postgres executable

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Better error message when --single is not the first arg to postgres executable
Date: 2024-08-21 20:47:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 10:58:02AM -0500, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 05:34:52PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I'm not really sure all this here is worth solving. I think requiring
>> things like --single or --boot to be first seems ok, and the alternatives
>> just make things more complicated.
>
> Yeah, I'm fine with doing something more like what Greg originally
> proposed at this point.

Here's an attempt at centralizing the set of subprogram options (and also
adding better error messages). My intent was to make it difficult to miss
updating all the relevant places when adding a new subprogram, but I'll
admit the patch is a bit more complicated than I was hoping.

--
nathan

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-better-error-message-when-subprogram-argument-is-.patch text/plain 5.4 KB