Re: Intermittent aggressive use of SWAP space by PostgreSQL despite availability of HUGE amounts of RAM for a small database.

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Mohammed Siddiqui <msiddiqui(at)net32(dot)com>, Ken Sollars <Ken(at)net32(dot)com>, Matt Elliott <melliott(at)net32(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Intermittent aggressive use of SWAP space by PostgreSQL despite availability of HUGE amounts of RAM for a small database.
Date: 2024-08-19 17:20:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Jul 23, 2024 at 11:33:05AM +0300, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > We have been seeing intermittent aggressive use of SWAP space by PostgreSQL despite availability of HUGE amounts of free RAM. We have a 100 GB database with 256 GB RAM on the server so there is no shortage of RAM nor shortage in PostgreSQL buffer cache. Our swappiness setting is set to “1”.
> > [...]
>
> Please provide your postgresql.conf.

I find running this query more helpful because it only shows non-default
settings, and potentially shows per user/database changes too:

-- show non-default server settings
SELECT name, current_setting(name), source
FROM pg_settings
WHERE source NOT IN ('default', 'override');

EDB https://enterprisedb.com