Re: The end of 32-bit PostgreSQL support?

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Bradford Boyle <bradford(dot)d(dot)boyle(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-pkg-debian(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The end of 32-bit PostgreSQL support?
Date: 2024-07-29 14:24:54
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

[Dropping Andrew from Cc as this isn't pgvector-specific]

Re: David Steele
> > Isn't Raspberry Pi still used pretty frequently in 32-bit? Not that they
> > are great big PostgreSQL users, but it's not nothing.  They do their own
> > downstream I believe, but if upstream dropped postgres I'm sure so would
> > they.
>
> Pi OS has had a 64-bit version for two years now, so I think that would be
> the way to go for anyone needing compatibility.

The first Pi were 32-bit only. I have one, but don't use PG on it. Now
the question would be, is that sort of machines reason enough to keep
supporting it? I'd tend to "no".

> > That said they're also a lot less likely to use the advanced extensions
> > I would guess, so maybe a middle ground could be to provide the base
> > postgresql packages only?
>
> This was one of the options Christoph proposed so I'm certainly OK with it.

Right, that makes sense for the server. There have been no real 32-bit
problems there yet that I can remember.

The problem with extensions is that if we said we'd continue to
support 32-bit archs as long as they work out of the box, someone
still has to do the assessment what broke and then arrange to pull the
plug, again wasting 10 or 20 minutes of time. I'd rather prefer that
we disabled all extensions at the same time. That would also be less
confusing to users (but we assume there's none anyway).

Christoph