Re: Set log_lock_waits=on by default

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Michael Banck <mbanck(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Set log_lock_waits=on by default
Date: 2024-07-19 13:24:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Re: Laurenz Albe
> The major criticism is Tom's that it might unduly increase the log volume.
>
> I'm not trying to rush things, but I see little point in kicking a trivial
> patch like this through many commitfests. If no committer wants to step
> up and commit this, it should be rejected.

That would be a pity, I still think log_lock_waits=on by default would
be a good thing.

I have not seen any server yet where normal, legitimate operation
would routinely trigger the message. (If it did, people should likely
have used SKIP LOCKED or NOWAIT instead.) It would only increase the
log volume on systems that have a problem.

Christoph