Re: Undocumented optionality of handler_statements

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: philipp(dot)salvisberg(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Undocumented optionality of handler_statements
Date: 2024-07-22 23:39:20
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 01:55:52PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> In
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/plpgsql-control-structures.html#PLPGSQL-ERROR-TRAPPING
> handler_statements are documented as optional.
>
> However, the following example shows that handler_statements can be omitted.

You have a good point. This could be clarified better in the
documentation by making handler_statements conditional with square
brackets around it. I'd rather add an extra sentence to tell that not
specifying handler_statements is equivalent to taking no action.

Perhaps you would like to write a patch?
--
Michael