Re: pg_rewind fails on Windows where tablespaces are used

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)stormatics(dot)tech>, Farooq Rashed <farooq(dot)rashed(at)desc(dot)gov(dot)ae>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_rewind fails on Windows where tablespaces are used
Date: 2024-07-09 23:12:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Jul 09, 2024 at 12:01:17PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> The solution I came up with was to backpatch commits c5cb8f3b, 387803d8 and
> 5fc88c5d53.

The lstat() wrapper for Windows, noted.

> I don't think we need to do anything relating to in-place tablespaces. These
> are documented as a developer only option and not for production.

Okay, cool.

> The only question in my mind is whether those patches should be
> backpatched.
>
> It's a couple of hundred lines, and I think it's safe, but I'd welcome other
> opinions. If we are going to backpatch them we should also look at adding to
> adding tests for use of tablespaces with pg_rewind on the back branches.
> Ideally we'd get this done in time for the next maintenance release.

Seeing that the commits all go down to v16, meaning that these have
brewed across 3 minor releases already, I'd like to assume that we
would have already heard about problems related to them. So that
seems like a rather safe thing to do at this stage.
--
Michael