Re: omnidb-server: fix for bug 1053100

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Bradford Boyle <bradford(dot)d(dot)boyle(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-pkg-debian(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: omnidb-server: fix for bug 1053100
Date: 2024-06-20 09:26:08
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

Re: Bradford Boyle
> I have been looking at Debian bug 1053100 (omnidb-server crashes when
> creating a new PostgreSQL connection) [1] and I have identified that
> this is caused by a change in one of OmniDB's Python dependencies.

Hi Bradford,

thanks for the debugging! I have not had any time to spend on OmniDB,
so this is most welcome.

> It looks like Django 5.x has deprecated `PickleSerializer` [2] so its
> unlikely that OmniDB will continue working going forward. At the moment,
> Debian testing still provides Django 4.2 but I do not know if the Debian
> Python team has plans to update to the newer major version. Independent
> of the Django major version incompatibility, it looks like the upstream
> repo for OmniDB has gone inactive and the project is unmaintained [3].
> Does it make sense to continue publishing packages of OmniDB for newer
> releases of Debian and Ubuntu?

I spoke to some of the 2ndQuandrant, err, EDB people at pgconf.eu last
year and they confirmed OmniDB is practically dead. Which is a pity,
because I had picked that as a pgadmin4 replacement :(.

If your patch fixes the problem, we should apply it. Hopefully that
will make OmniDB work at least for now, perhaps even for trixie. But
after that, I have little hope, and we shouldn't put too much more
(non-trivial) effort into it since the horse seems to be dead :(.

Christoph