Re: Proposal for Updating CRC32C with AVX-512 Algorithm.

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Amonson, Paul D" <paul(dot)d(dot)amonson(at)intel(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Shankaran, Akash" <akash(dot)shankaran(at)intel(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposal for Updating CRC32C with AVX-512 Algorithm.
Date: 2024-06-12 18:24:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 02:08:02PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Amonson, Paul D" <paul(dot)d(dot)amonson(at)intel(dot)com> writes:
> > I had our OSS internal team, who are experts in OSS licensing, review possible conflicts between the PostgreSQL license and the BSD-Clause 3-like license for the CRC32C AVX-512 code, and they found no issues. Therefore, including the new license into the PostgreSQL codebase should be acceptable.
>
> Maybe you should get some actual lawyers to answer this type of
> question. The Chromium license this code cites is 3-clause-BSD
> style, which is NOT compatible: the "advertising" clause is
> significant.
>
> In any case, writing copyright notices that are pointers to
> external web pages is not how it's done around here. We generally
> operate on the assumption that the Postgres source code will
> outlive any specific web site. Dead links to incidental material
> might be okay, but legally relevant stuff not so much.

Agreed. The licenses are compatible in the sense that they can be
combined to create a unified work, but they cannot be combined without
modifying the license of the combined work. You would need to combine
the Postgres and Chrome license for this, and I highly doubt we are
going to be modifying the Postgres for this.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com