Re: use CREATE DATABASE STRATEGY = FILE_COPY in pg_upgrade

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: use CREATE DATABASE STRATEGY = FILE_COPY in pg_upgrade
Date: 2024-06-12 14:41:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 10:39:51AM +0200, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2024 at 04:01, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> It looks like pg_dump always uses template0, so AFAICT we don't even need
>> the suggested manual checkpoint after restoring template1.
>
> Thanks for reminding me. It seems I misunderstood the reason why we
> first process template1 in create_new_objects, as I didn't read the
> comments thoroughly enough.

Actually, I think you are right that we need a manual checkpoint, except I
think we need it to be after prepare_new_globals(). set_frozenxids()
connects to each database (including template0) and updates a bunch of
pg_class rows, and we probably want those on disk before we start copying
the files to create all the user's databases.

--
nathan