Re: Injection points: preloading and runtime arguments

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Injection points: preloading and runtime arguments
Date: 2024-06-06 23:38:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 06, 2024 at 03:47:47PM +0500, Andrey M. Borodin wrote:
> Is it OK to detach() before wakeup()? Or, perhaps, can a detach() do a wakeup() automatically?

It is OK to do a detach before a wakeup. Noah has been relying on
this behavior in an isolation test for a patch he's worked on. See
inplace110-successors-v1.patch here:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20240512232923.aa.nmisch@google.com

That's also something we've discussed for 33181b48fd0e, where Noah
wanted to emulate in an automated fashion what one can do with a
debugger and one or more breakpoints.

Not sure that wakeup() involving a automated detach() is the behavior
to hide long-term, actually, as there is also an argument for waking
up a point and *not* detach it to force multiple waits.
--
Michael