Re: Autovacuum endless loop in heap_page_prune()?

From: Peter <pmc(at)citylink(dot)dinoex(dot)sub(dot)org>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum endless loop in heap_page_prune()?
Date: 2024-05-27 13:49:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 01:51:56PM +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:

! > ! Apart from hardware problems, one frequent cause is upgrading glibc
! > ! (if the index on a string column or expression).
! >
! > No, this is FreeBSD, we don't normally do such things... ;)
!
! You don't update the C library, or collations never change?

I rarely update the C library.
Kernel + libraries + OS programs are a single unit here, updated
about once a year, and then by many people and with all the usual
testing.
I could lookup how often some locale was modified, but honestly, I'm
too lazy now.

| (but of course SQL_ASCII is a mistake).

Really? I re-read the chapter on Locale/CharSet Support, and I don't
see the mistake. Only one can not convert that to anything else, which
is fine in this usecase (storing arbitrary filenames from any OS in
any character-set within the same column).

regards,
PMc