Re: Use pgstat_kind_infos to read fixed shared stats structs

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tristan Partin <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Use pgstat_kind_infos to read fixed shared stats structs
Date: 2024-05-07 02:50:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 06, 2024 at 02:07:53PM -0500, Tristan Partin wrote:
> This was originally thought of by Andres in
> 5891c7a8ed8f2d3d577e7eea34dacff12d7b6bbd.

+1 because you are removing a duplication between the order of the
items in PgStat_Kind and the order when these are read. I suspect
that nobody would mess up with the order if adding a stats kind with a
fixed number of objects, but that makes maintenance slightly easier in
the long-term :)

> Not a fix, per se, but it does remove a comment. Perhaps the discussion will
> just lead to someone deleting the comment, and keeping the code as is.
> Either way, a win :).

Yup. Let's leave that as something to do for v18.
--
Michael