Re: Security lessons from liblzma

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Security lessons from liblzma
Date: 2024-04-01 20:58:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 06:37:24PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> You might have seen reports today about a very complex exploit added to
> recent versions of liblzma. Fortunately, it was only enabled two months
> ago and has not been pushed to most stable operating systems like Debian
> and Ubuntu. The original detection report is:
>
> https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2024/03/29/4

I was watching this video about the exploit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9em7Bg0iU

and at 2:29, they mention "hero software developer", our own Andres
Freund as the person who discovered the exploit. I noticed the author's
name at the openwall email link above, but I assumed it was someone else
with the same name. They mentioned it was found while researching
Postgres performance, and then I noticed the email address matched!

I thought the analogy he uses at the end of the video is very clear.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com