Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade vs vacuum_cost_delay

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade vs vacuum_cost_delay
Date: 2023-11-23 04:23:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 04:45:14PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 4:35 PM, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br> wrote:
>
> On 16-06-2016 09:05, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Shouldn't pg_upgrade turn off vacuum cost delay when it vacuums the new
> > cluster? Not talking about the post-analyze script, but when it runs
> > vacuumdb to analyze and freeze before loading the new schema, in
> > prepare_new_cluster()? Those run during downtime, so it seems like you'd
> > want those to run as fast as possible.
> >
> Doesn't --new-options do the job?
>

> You could, but it seems like it should do it by default.

Based on this seven year old post, I realized there are minimal
directions in pg_upgrade docs about how to generate statistics quickly,
so I created this patch to help.

We do have docs on updating planner statistics:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/routine-vacuuming.html#VACUUM-FOR-STATISTICS

but that doesn't seem to cover cases where you are doing an upgrade or
pg_dump restore. Should I move this information into there instead?

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
analyze.diff text/x-diff 800 bytes