Re: pg_upgrade doc uses inconsistent versions within the doc.

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: mark(dot)a(dot)sloan(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade doc uses inconsistent versions within the doc.
Date: 2023-09-26 17:34:56
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 08:14:04PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/pgupgrade.html
>
> I feel like for readability the pg_upgrade doc should use the same
> old_version and new_version examples when showing examples throughout the
> doc page.
>
> as an exmaple I'm looking at :
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgupgrade.html
>
> in some places the example commands use v9.6 and v16. (see step 8)
>
> but in other places it mixes versions v9.5 and v9.6 (see step 11 sub step 8)

Good point. I came up with the attached patch. It uses 9.6 and current
--- the only problem is that the target directory is now:

/vol1/pg_tblsp/PG_&majorversion;_202307071
---------

and since the catalog version is not accessible from SGML, it will
usually not match the major version's catalog number.

I would apply this only to Postgres 17 since it isn't really a fix.

EDB https://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
upgrade_version.diff text/x-diff 1.4 KB