Thursday Aug 17, 2023, Meetup: Developing Your Own Database Extensions

From: Mark Wong <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Thursday Aug 17, 2023, Meetup: Developing Your Own Database Extensions
Date: 2023-08-04 00:51:51
Lists: pdxpug

2023 Aug 17 Thursday Meeting 6:30pm-8:30pm

Location: TBD

Speaker: Jerry Sievert

Extensions are part of what makes Postgres such a powerful and popular
database. Being able to add new capabilities to your database allows
developers to adapt Postgres to many different use cases from geospatial
(PostGIS), to multi-server sharding (Citus), to custom datatypes
(pg_semver), to foreign data wrappers (postgres_fdw), and others.

Jerry is going to walk us through getting started working on database
extensions. We will cover how extensions work and getting started
authoring your very own first database extension! Time permitting, and
with interest, we will cover operators and types. This talk is intended
for all developers and DBA’s alike, so bring your questions. If you have
a favorite extension, we want to know, so bring it to the discussion.
I’ll go first: favorite extension: most flavors of FDW’s for sure.

Now a bit about Jerry. He’s currently working at Hydra
(https://hydra.so/) on data warehousing with Postgres, but has been
using Postgres for waaaay too long. If you’ve ever used PLJS
(https://github.com/plv8/pljs) he’s the author, and he is the
maintainer of PLV8 (https://plv8.github.io/)

Please sign up on MeetUp to help us estimate head count:
https://www.meetup.com/pdxpug/events/295229582/