Re: Use COPY for populating all pgbench tables

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tristan Partin <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Use COPY for populating all pgbench tables
Date: 2023-07-24 05:09:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jul 23, 2023 at 08:21:51PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Cool. I have applied the new tests for now to move on with this
> thread.

I have done a few more things on this patch today, including
measurements with a local host and large scaling numbers. One of my
hosts was taking for instance around 36.8s with scale=500 using the
INSERTs and 36.5s with the COPY when loading data (average of 4
runs) with -I dtg.

Greg's upthread point is true as well that for high latency the
server-side generation is the most adapted option, but I don't see a
reason to not switch to a COPY as this option is hidden behind -I,
just for the sake of improving the default option set. So, at the
end, applied.
--
Michael