Re: pgsql: Database-level collation version tracking

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Database-level collation version tracking
Date: 2022-02-14 08:18:52
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 07:40:22AM +0000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Database-level collation version tracking
>
> This adds to database objects the same version tracking that collation
> objects have. There is a new pg_database column datcollversion that
> stores the version, a new function
> pg_database_collation_actual_version() to get the version from the
> operating system, and a new subcommand ALTER DATABASE ... REFRESH
> COLLATION VERSION.
>
> This was not originally added together with pg_collation.collversion,
> since originally version tracking was only supported for ICU, and ICU
> on a database-level is not currently supported. But we now have
> version tracking for glibc (since PG13), FreeBSD (since PG14), and
> Windows (since PG13), so this is useful to have now.

calliphoridae does not like this one:
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=calliphoridae&dt=2022-02-14%2007%3A41%3A13

SELECT current_database() AS datname \\gset
ALTER DATABASE :"datname" REFRESH COLLATION VERSION;
-NOTICE: version has not changed
+ERROR: unrecognized node type: 291

Worth noting that it uses -DDCOPY_PARSE_PLAN_TREES and
-DRAW_EXPRESSION_COVERAGE_TEST, so you may have missed a piece in this
area.
--
Michael