Re: preserve timestamps when installing headers

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alexander Kuzmenkov <akuzmenkov(at)timescale(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: preserve timestamps when installing headers
Date: 2021-12-06 11:15:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 06, 2021 at 01:51:39AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> TBH, I am not convinced that the complained-of case is enough of a
> problem to justify any change in our build rules, even if there
> weren't any semantic issues. If you are worried about build times,
> you should be using ccache, and IME builds using ccache are not
> terribly impacted by file timestamp changes.

FWIW, I am not on board with changing build semantics or any
assumptions the header installation relies on either, but I could see
a point in switching back to INSTALL_DATA instead of cp to be
consistent with the rest of the build, iff the argument made back in
2005 about the performance of this code path does not hold anymore.
If we do that, it would then be possible to feed a custom INSTALL
command to ./configure.
--
Michael