pgstattuple extension - Can pgstattuple_approx support toast tables?

From: Jean-Marc Lessard <Jean-Marc(dot)Lessard(at)ultra-ft(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgstattuple extension - Can pgstattuple_approx support toast tables?
Date: 2020-02-17 22:07:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

The pgstattuple extension is pretty useful to monitor table bloat.

I have few large tables with bytea column that represent TB of data that I would need to monitor.
I ran pgstattuple() on the associated toast tables but it takes hours to run.

pgstattuple_approx() would be a nice alternative but it does not accept toast tables.
It can be run on pg_largeobject which is very similar to the toast table structures.
Why pgstattuple_approx() cannot be run on toast tables?

Regards,

Jean-Marc Lessard
Administrateur de base de donn?es / Database Administrator

[cid:Grey_159x30_4bbe7521-befd-4728-9ef7-b43f42916b2e.png]

Ultra Electronics Forensic Technology Inc.
T +1 514 489 4247 x4164
www.ultra-forensictechnology.com<http://www.ultra-forensictechnology.com/>