Re: BUG #16953: OOB access while converting "interval" to char

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: t(dot)larionov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16953: OOB access while converting "interval" to char
Date: 2021-04-08 10:17:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 08:08:56PM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> PFA a naive patch to fix this problem with some regression tests. I'm assuming
> that -1 month should be january and not december. I had a quick look at the
> rest of formatting.c and didn't spot any similar problem, but another pair of
> eyes wouldn't hurt.

Assuming an absolute number is not really intuitive when it comes to a
negative number here, while counting backward feels more natural, so I
would vote for making -1 be December, -2 November, etc.

Let's also make the tests more extended. I would suggest a single
query with generate_series() from say -12 to 12, that checks the
output of both RM and rm for the full range of values supported by
tm_mon.
--
Michael