Re: please build packages --with-lz4

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, pgsql-pkg-yum(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: please build packages --with-lz4
Date: 2021-03-23 11:59:09
Lists: pgsql-pkg-yum

Re: Justin Pryzby
> > I have to wonder why we aren't just automatically checking if lz4 is
> > available and enabling it when it is...
>
> I assume you mean at compile time, regarding autoconf macros ?
>
> This probably doesn't apply to PGDG, but as I recall at least within debian,
> there's a preference to build either --with-... or --without-.., so that a
> library which happens to be installed doesn't create a package with an
> unintentional dependency, or a library which is not installed or something
> broken/incompatible doesn't result in a package without the intended
> dependency.

There is some value in making explicit statements in configure flags,
but if the package declares "Build-Depends: liblz4-dev" and then
configure picks that up automatically, there is not that much room for
unwanted surprises.

If we chose to deliberately go without lz4 support I'd in fact put a
--without-lz4 into the list of options.

The deeper question here is I guess, if lz4 is better than pglz, and
besides why isn't --with-lz4 the default, why isn't it the default for
all columns but needs some obsure GUC set?

Christoph