Re: BUG #16894: PANIC: WAL contains references to invalid pages

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Антон Курочкин <antkurochkin(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16894: PANIC: WAL contains references to invalid pages
Date: 2021-03-01 04:31:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 12:53:44PM -0500, David Steele wrote:
> For context, when a user performs selective restore all the relations for
> databases *not* selected are restored as sparse zero files with the correct
> size. WAL replay will update those relations but they are not expected to
> be consistent, and in fact we make it impossible to logon to those databases
> so the only option is to drop them.

What is a selective restore? Is that a pgbackrest restore mode from a
full physical backup where only a portion of the database folders are
physically put back into the data folder restored before doing WAL
replay up to the consistent point of the full physical backup? Then,
you emulate the absence of the files from the other database folders
using files full of zeros but with the same size as the original
backup to trick WAL replay?
--
Michael