Re: index bloat estimation

From: Victor Sudakov <vas(at)sibptus(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: index bloat estimation
Date: 2021-02-20 14:34:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

Keith Fiske wrote:

> Actually this could still be an issue, but all really depends on the size
> of the tables involved. Long running transactions on the replica have the
> potential to either delay replication entirely
> (max_standby_archive_delay, max_standby_streaming_delay) or cause more
> bloat than normal on the primary (hot_standby_feedback). The latter is more

As I said earlier, if you have a dedicated replica for OLAP running
continuous recovery from a WAL archive (not from a replication slot),
this is not an issue. You can do whatever you want with this replica:
stop it, make it a delayed replica, it cannot affect the master in any
way.

> The approximate/quick mode of pgstattuple could certainly help with this
> problem, but as the issue you opened up on the github repo pointed out,
> that skips over scanning toast tables (
> https://github.com/keithf4/pg_bloat_check/issues/22) and also does not work
> against indexes which are more often the problem with bloat and query
> performance. I have seen significant bloat forming in the toast tables
> (hundreds of GB) when the regular table only reports very minimal bloat. So
> I don't recommend relying completely on the approximate check.

I'll mind that, thank you.

--
Victor Sudakov, VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49(at)fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/