Multi-Language Support and/or UTF-8 UNICODE

From: RK Street <R(dot)K(dot)Street(at)rl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Multi-Language Support and/or UTF-8 UNICODE
Date: 2000-02-14 16:21:12
Lists: pgsql-general

I have been reading in the doc directory of the 6.5.1 tree for information
about UNICODE and UTF-8 support and still have a few questions.
It is not clear to me whether Unicode 2.x and utf-8 or UCS-2 encodings are
available and working okay at this time. Can anyone explain?

I get the impression that UTF-8 is available for the backend but not the
frontend. I also get the impression that only ISO 8895-1 through 5 so far
work. If UTF-8 and ISO-8859-7 are not available on the client, how do you
get the non ISO-8859-1 data into and out of the database ?

Could I build the database so that the default format is UNICODE if the
user takes no further action regardless of any locale settings ?
What happens when you do backups, searches and sorting ? Are
there any restrictions on table and column names (do they have to be
7-bit ASCII for instance) ?

R Street