Application trying to use wrong user when logging into the database

From: Simon Connah <simon(dot)n(dot)connah(at)protonmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Application trying to use wrong user when logging into the database
Date: 2021-03-28 13:44:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I'm writing a web app using Node.js and pg-promise along with PostgreSQL. I've been following the documentation to connect to the database found here:

https://github.com/vitaly-t/pg-promise/wiki/Connection-Syntax#configuration-object

and have all the right data supplied. But instead of using my applications role which I created in PostgreSQL it is trying to use my Linux user name "simon" and is failing authentication because of it. I'm just confused at the moment. At no point in time have I created a role called "simon" and I have never tried to connect to any of my databases using the role name "simon", so why is it trying to authenticate as "simon"?

Sorry if this is a silly question but it has me completely stumped.

Simon.