Re: Moving a large DB (> 500GB) to another DB with different locale

From: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving a large DB (> 500GB) to another DB with different locale
Date: 2016-01-13 08:03:59
Lists: pgsql-general

På onsdag 13. januar 2016 kl. 04:17:03, skrev Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org
<mailto:vivek(at)khera(dot)org>>:
  On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com
<mailto:andreas(at)visena(dot)com>> wrote: I'm moving a > 500GB DB to another server
which is initdb'ed with a different locale (nb_NO.UTF-8 to get correct
collation when ORDER BY).
Is there another option than pg_dump/restore for doing this?

I recently used slony to move data stored in an SQL_ASCII db to one that was
strict UTF-8. I wrote up a program that would fix any invalid byte sequences in
the original db first. It went very well, and we had very minimal downtime.

It seems to me you could use slony to accomplish your goal as well of just
copying the data into a new DB with the different collation setting. Once done,
just stop your application for a minute or two to switch the DB it uses, and
drop the slony replication. This process will work if you can assure that the
dump/restore would have worked too. That is, there are no invalid data.

Seems like pglogical migth be better?
http://2ndquadrant.com/en/resources/pglogical/
It's available for 9.4 also.

-- Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS
Mobile: +47 909 56 963
andreas(at)visena(dot)com <mailto:andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
www.visena.com <https://www.visena.com>
<https://www.visena.com>