Effects of REVOKE SELECT ON ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA pg_catalog FROM PUBLIC

From: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Effects of REVOKE SELECT ON ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA pg_catalog FROM PUBLIC
Date: 2024-09-12 03:41:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Hei all.

Motivation: I have PowerBI users, with a separate ‘reporting’-role, accessing
a database and I want to prevent them from listing all tables, users, databases
and view-definitions (to not see the underlying query).

I'm evaluating this:
REVOKE SELECT ON ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA pg_catalog FROM PUBLIC; REVOKE SELECT ON
ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA information_schema FROM PUBLIC;
Will this affect “normal behaviour”, ie. prevent the planner, or other
internal mechanisms, from working properly for sessions logged in with the
‘reporting’-role?

Thanks.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh