RE: pg_upgrade and logical replication

From: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Michael Paquier' <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: RE: pg_upgrade and logical replication
Date: 2023-09-25 05:35:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Michael,

> I'd like to propose a check
> for IsBinaryUpgrade into ApplyLauncherRegister() instead as it makes
> no real sense to start apply workers in this context. That would be
> equivalent to max_logical_replication_workers = 0.

Personally, I prefer to change max_logical_replication_workers. Mainly there are
two reasons:

1. Your approach must be back-patched to older versions which support logical
replication feature, but the oldest one (PG10) has already been unsupported.
We should not modify such a branch.
2. Also, "max_logical_replication_workers = 0" approach would be consistent
with what we are doing now and for upgrade of publisher patch.
Please see the previous discussion [1].

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1%2BWBphnmvMpjrxceymzuoMuyV2_pMGaJq-zNODiJqAa7Q%40mail.gmail.com

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda