shmmax 9.3

From: dx k9 <bitsandbytes88(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: posgres support <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: shmmax 9.3
Date: 2013-12-17 16:51:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi, we are building a 9.3 instance on CentOS with 32 GB of RAM. What is the recommended value for SHMMAX the documentation was far less is needed but not exactly how much. We used 25% of total memory < 9.3. But what should we use now ? 5% of total memory or just 10 MB or 10 KB ? Do we even need to mess with sysctl.conf? The documentation table 17-1 shows just 1 kb is needed yet below under linux the example uses 17 GB of SHMMAX. We will run several instances on one server.

Thanks,
~DjK