could not read from hash-join temporary file: SUCCESS && DB goes into recovery mode

From: Reid Thompson <Reid(dot)Thompson(at)omnicell(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Reid Thompson <Reid(dot)Thompson(at)omnicell(dot)com>
Subject: could not read from hash-join temporary file: SUCCESS && DB goes into recovery mode
Date: 2021-04-19 12:26:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi I'm looking for some guidance related to the subject line issue.
PostgreSQL 11.8 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-39), 64-bit
128GB RAM
pgsql_tmp is on a FS with 2+TB free

Information that I've been able to find on the web indicates

1. That the error message has been updated ( i.e. SUCCESS is not the proper value)
2. That the error is due to running out of temporary space either disk space or maybe temp_buffers?

,Would the presumption that the query is running out of temp_buffers be correct? Or is there something else that I should be looking at/for? (i.e. I'm not aware of any disk quota rules that would restrict creation of tmp files on disk)

Thanks,
reid