RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: BUG #18528: Installer displays error when installing

From: "Ware, Christopher M(dot) (LARC-D318)[RSES]" <christopher(dot)m(dot)ware(at)nasa(dot)gov>
To: Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Ware, Christopher M(dot) (LARC-D318)[RSES]" <christopher(dot)m(dot)ware(at)nasa(dot)gov>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: BUG #18528: Installer displays error when installing
Date: 2024-07-10 16:31:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I have some more information to share on the installation issue.
I was able to find a partial work-around for the installation issue on the surface Pro 9 system running windows 10. (As a side note, the installation worked without issue on a laptop running windows 11.)

Once I started the installer, I waited for the first error message box to pop up that had the “Retry, Ignore, Cancel” option on it (while watching the user/appdata/local/temp folder.) Once the folder appeared, I ran the following command from an administrator command prompt window: takeown /F c:\users\USER\appdata\local\temp\postgresql_installer_XXXXXXXXXX (where XXXXXXXXXX is the hex value the installer used). After the command was run (choosing ‘y’ to accept), I clicked on the ‘Retry’ button of the message box. The installation was then able to proceed. I didn’t have any other issues until the end of the installer when I received a message box about a problem running post-install step, screen shot attached.
I also noticed several more postgresql_installer_xxxxxxxxxx folders were created, all with the same permissions problem.

It almost seems like the installer doesn’t recognize the hardware or something and not applying permissions correctly. I have Cygwin installed on the system and using it to get a listing of the folders that have the permission problem it lists the folder as owned by Administrators and the group of Domain Users. The actual permissions seen are “d---rwx---+” which is no permissions for user, read, write and execute for group, and no permissions for other.

I don’t know why the installer would put incorrect permissions on the folders it creates. I’m also assuming that the attached screen shot of the last error received is due to the same permissions problem for later steps in the install process that creates the additional folders.

One other piece of information is that looking at the permissions of the folder after I ran the takeown command on it, cygwin shows “drwxr-x---” with an “Unknown+User” and “Unknown+Group” but apparently it doesn’t care about who the user is, just the permissions that the OS has to follow.

I have also attached the log files generated during this partial work-around attempt.

Thanks,
Chris