Database log in

From: "Heckler, Kim M" <kim(dot)heckler(at)nationwide(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Database log in
Date: 2024-01-24 21:22:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

All,

I am experiencing intermitently, slow, log in times. My connection scenario:

1. Kube pod is hosted in Ohio, in AWS account A.
2. Using psql, a log in attempt is initiated from the pod.
3. RDS Postgres Instance is hosted in Ohio, in account B. host has 8 vCPU and 32 GB of RAM. CPU and IO are not a bottle neck.
4. We experience intermittent log in slowness.
My questions are around what happens at log in time; what are the sequence of events? Also, how much "stress" does log in have to the DBMS? How many concurrent logins can the DBMS handle in a short time frame? Can 40 sessions be initiated within 90 seconds? 60 seconds?
Please, I would appreciate debugging suggestions.
Thank you in advance, Kim.