Hiding PG/SQL functions

From: biggero(at)poczta(dot)onet(dot)pl
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Hiding PG/SQL functions
Date: 2008-04-08 10:25:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I have PG/SQL functions in Postgres database created using sequence of following statements:

(example)
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION get_data RETURNS integer AS $$
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

These PG/SQL functions can be viewed using pgAdmin. I don't like this because users can see the internal structure of my program and they will try to cheat my program.

My questions are:
1. How can you hide PG/SQL functions from other users, so that they can't see the functions, but they can still execute them?

2. What do you think about this idea: Can you embed PG/SQL function in a C code, compile it to a shared library and then let the users use it? How do you do that?
This would protect my functions (I think).
I would rather not give up PG/SQL language as the procedures are almost ready. So embedding PG/SQL in C is feasible, while writing all procedures from the scratch rather not.

3. Where can I find more details about database security in this respect (ie. protection of my code). Even some links to the manual would be helpful.

Thanks for the answers. I am just not kind of admin guy, I am kind of programmer guy.

Bigg