Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: CREATE CONVERSION
Date: 2002-07-10 04:27:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Sure. However, Tatsuo maintains that the customary Japanese character
> sets don't map very well with Unicode. Personally, I believe that this is
> an issue that should be fixed, not avoided, but I don't understand the
> issues well enough.

I hear this all the time, but I have yet to have someone show me what,
Iin SO-2022-JP, EUC-JP or SJIS cannot be transparently translated into
Unicode and back.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC