Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt
Date: 2008-06-18 00:45:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Despite trying to be careful, I managed to mess up the upgrade from -8.1.4
to -8.3.3 on my Slackware-11.0 server/workstation. I expect that someone
here will see my error and point me in the right direction to recover a
working dbms.

Here's what I did:

1.) As a user, I ran pg_dumpall on version 8.1.4 and had that written to
/usr4/postgres-backups/.

2.) Created /usr4/pgsql_old/, and copied all of /var/lib/pgsql/ there ('cp
-a /var/lib/pgsql/* .')

3.) In /usr4/pgsql_old/data/postgresql.conf, changed port to 5466.

4.) As root, ran '/etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql stop', which reported that's
what it did.

5.) Built postgresql-8.3.3 using the SlackBuild script, then ran
'upgradepkg postgresql-8.3.3*tgz'; other than reporting not finding an
expected pid file, that went smoothly.

6.) Tried starting the new version, /etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql start. It
reported that the server was already running, but that it started anyway.

7.) A search of the process list could not find the postmaster process, or
any other indication of pgsql running. Trying to run pgsql as a user also
failed. Tried, as user postgres, to run 'pg_sql start' but that also failed.

TIA,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | Integrity Credibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Innovation