Re: timestamp no fractional seconds

From: Brandon Metcalf <brandon(at)geronimoalloys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: timestamp no fractional seconds
Date: 2009-06-02 16:40:08
Lists: pgsql-general

b == brandon(at)geronimoalloys(dot)com writes:

b> I need to create a table with two columns of type timestamp but I
b> don't want to store any fractional part of the seconds field. So,
b> I created a table with:

b> CREATE TABLE timeclock (
b> timeclock_id SERIAL,
b> employee_id INTEGER,
b> clockin TIMESTAMP[0] NOT NULL,
b> clockout TIMESTAMP[0] DEFAULT NULL,

b> PRIMARY KEY (timeclock_id),

b> FOREIGN KEY (employee_id)
b> REFERENCES employee
b> ON DELETE RESTRICT
b> ON UPDATE CASCADE
b> );

b> Am I creating the table correctly? If so, how do I insert or update
b> rows?

I suppose my question really boils down to how do I cast the timestamp
with no fractional seconds part? For example, if I have a table where
I haven't put a limit on the fractional seconds part, how would I
select the timestamp without fractional seconds?

gms=> select clockin from timeclock;

clockin
----------------------------
2009-06-02 11:34:21.314392
(1 row)

gms=> select clockin::timestamp without time zone[0] from timeclock;
ERROR: cannot cast type timestamp without time zone to timestamp without time zone[]
LINE 1: select clockin::timestamp without time zone[0] from timecloc...
^
gms=> select clockin::timestamp[0] from timeclock;
ERROR: cannot cast type timestamp without time zone to timestamp without time zone[]
LINE 1: select clockin::timestamp[0] from timeclock;

--
Brandon