Re: new Perl Server-Side Language in 8.0

From: "Brandon Metcalf" <bmetcalf(at)nortel(dot)com>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: new Perl Server-Side Language in 8.0
Date: 2005-08-11 20:49:04
Lists: pgsql-general

m == mike(at)fuhr(dot)org writes:

m> On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 12:51:29PM -0500, Brandon Metcalf wrote:
m> > I'm looking for details on the new Perl server-side language
m> > introduced in 8.0. Specifically, I'm looking for changes between 7.4
m> > and 8.0 and if there are any backward compatibility issues.
m> >
m> > I checked the website and docs, but didn't find anything.

m> The 8.0 Release Notes mention PL/Perl, although probably not in as
m> much detail as you'd like:

m> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/release-8-0.html

m> "A new version of the plperl server-side language now supports a
m> persistent shared storage area, triggers, returning records and
m> arrays of records, and SPI calls to access the database."

Yeah, I'm looking for something a bit more in depth.

m> For details you might need to look through the pgsql-hackers and
m> pgsql-committers archives.

Will do.

Thanks.

--