Re: database encoding "WIN" -- Western or Cyrillic?

From: "Serguei A(dot) Mokhov" <mokhov(at)cs(dot)concordia(dot)ca>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Preston Landers <pibble(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database encoding "WIN" -- Western or Cyrillic?
Date: 2005-02-15 16:43:34
Lists: pgsql-general

> Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:47:14 +0100
> From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
>
> > I remain mystified why the "WIN" encoding would default to a fairly
> > obscure Cyrillic encoding considering most Russian users that I know
> > are using either KOI8 or Unicode.
>
> Legacy.

I'd not call it legacy _yet_ as it's as frequently used as about KOI8-R
for "WIN" being the default on Windows for many apps. And since now the
Win32 port is out, it's gonna be even more used. KOI8 was primarily used
on Unixen. Unicode does not kick in yet much for Windows-minded people.

--
Serguei A. Mokhov | /~\ The ASCII
Computer Science Department | \ / Ribbon Campaign