Re: make == as = ?

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make == as = ?
Date: 2004-04-10 09:35:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Jan,

> > If you want to promote postgreSQL, then it should be good that anything
> > from outside (whether standard or not) can work with postgreSQL, but
> > anything that work in pg may not work outside;-)
>
> I couldn't disagree more. What you are asking for is to do whatever (you
> think) gets the crowds cheering. That is exactly what MySQL attempts by
> stuffing one half baked feature after another into their db product and
> calling it "integration". What we try instead is to create a stable,
> reliable and predictable database server.

Well, I can have different opinions, depending on the standpoint;-)

(1) as a sql developer, I may want to have a tool that helps me write
portable and standard code. Well, if I know there is a standard.
Otherwise, I just want to code, and the more feature the better.

(2) as a product developer, I may want to serve all my customers, whether
they are of the "standard" type or not.

(3) as a product marketer, I may want that my product as distinguishable
features so that I can "sell" it because it does more that the
standard.

I've been involved in a Fortran research compiler, and I assure you
that you must support extensions (sun cray...)
if you want to take real industrial codes.

So on the point that the standard must be supported, I perfectly agree.

On the point that anything else should be dropped out: let's do it!
I'll send a patch to remove all those non portable features in postgresql
that make users write non portable code... But I'm not sure it will be
accepted;-)

Moreover, having == as a synonym for = is not necessarily in contradiction
with a stable, reliable and predictable server.

> AND is not an operator, ...

The docs says "logical operator". Maybe you mean "is not a pg_operator".

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr