Is select a transaction starting statement?

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is select a transaction starting statement?
Date: 2004-09-14 17:35:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is select a transaction starting statement according to the the sql
specification?

In the specification (sql99) there is a list of things that are and a list
of things that are not, but I can't figure out which list a select query
belongs to. Isn't that great :-)

In postgresql it is implemented as one. A guy on irc informed me that in
oracle only SELECT ... FOR UPDATE is a transaction starting command.

Now I'm trying to figure out which is the correct way.

I'm afraid that no one knows this and I will have to spend a full day
reading the spec, just to stop my curiosity. Please help me save a day!

--
/Dennis Björklund