sql92 character sets

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: sql92 character sets
Date: 2004-04-13 08:18:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

For my own amusement I'm reading the sql 92 spec about character sets.
There are some concepts that are a bit difficult that maybe someone can
explain for me:

character set
character repertoire

for example in 4.2.1 it says:

A character set is described by a character set descriptor. A
character set descriptor includes:

- the name of the character set or character repertoire,

- if the character set is a character repertoire, then the name
of the form-of-use,

- an indication of what characters are in the character set, and

- the name of the default collation of the character set.

What I have understod so far is that form-of-use is the encoding. So if
the character set is UNICODE then the form-of-use could be UTF-8, UTF-16
and so on.

The character repertoire however I don't have an intuition about it all.

Then we have this little section:

The <implementation-defined character repertoire name> SQL_TEXT
specifies the name of a character repertoire and implied form-of-
use that can represent every character that is in <SQL language
character> and all other characters that are in character sets
supported by the implementation.

Had unicode been a superset of all character sets, then one could just
have used unicode for SQL_TEXT. Exactly how do we create a character
repertoire that can store any character from any character set.. Storing
the character set for each character is not such a cool thing to do
even if it would work :-)

SQL_ASCII in pg is similar, it's basically a number of bytes. But the spec
seems to say that one should be able to count the characters as well (not
the bytes) so SQL_ASCII is not the same as SQL_TEXT.

ps. This is not me volunteering to implement all this :-)

--
/Dennis Björklund