Re: make == as = ?

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make == as = ?
Date: 2004-04-07 09:34:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> Is it bad code? Not for people who come from a C/C++/Java background.

It's not the sql operator.

Every week I meet MySql people that want to port their application to
another database and run into problems because they use some mysql
construct instead of the standard sql construct. I fail to see it as a
good thing for pg to add more non standard constructs where that standard
works fine. Extensions for things that are hard/impossible to do with
standard sql is a different thing (but should still be done with care).

If people want it I'd rather have them create the operators themself.
That's my view.

--
/Dennis Björklund