Re: make == as = ?

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make == as = ?
Date: 2004-04-07 08:30:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > =? as != is a synonum for <>, it would make sense.
>
> That was never such a terribly good idea, IMHO.

Agreed. Compilers should give errors and not try to work around bad code.
Had the first generation of browsers done that we would have had a much
nicer web today.

It would be useful with some flag/variable to set that makes pg generate
varnings for non standard constructs. Unfortunatly there are so many
things that are non standard, still using != instead of <> could be a
usable warning.

--
/Dennis Björklund