Re: encoding again

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Kathy Zhu <Kathy(dot)Zhu(at)sun(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: encoding again
Date: 2003-09-09 22:57:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Kathy Zhu writes:

> 1) the sorting is based on unicode value, not EUC_CN encoding value.

The sorting is always based on the server encoding. There is no way to
change that.

> 2) I wrote the ResultSet to a file by using OutputStreamWriter(file, "EUC_CN"). The
> file is not readable from the browser with any charset setting.

That is a problem in whatever client interface that is (Java?) or your
browser.

> 3) Changing client_encoding from UNICODE to EUC_CN actually alter/loose the data if
> you compare the above "select *" statements.

You're going to have to be a bit more specific, because many of us can't
identify the characters or see what is wrong with them.

Also, try a more recent PostgreSQL version, such as 7.3.4.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net