Re: pgsql-server/src backend/bootstrap/Tag: backen ...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql-server/src backend/bootstrap/Tag: backen ...
Date: 2003-09-09 20:44:10
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers-win32

Bruce Momjian writes:

> Well, the files are in there now --- I might as well just leave them so
> they don't have to go through that. This MinGW environment is much more
> limited than a Unix environment --- no bison, flex, cvs, or perl.

The whole MinGW thing is overhyped. Install Cygwin and specify gcc
-mno-cygwin when you compile. That gets you the same compilation
environment that MinGW provides, but you can use all the Unix tools.

> Once people are invested in the port, I think they will install those
> tools, but I like to make the getting-started easier.

Yeah, but if there is supposedly no cvs available in that environment,
what is the point of this exercise? They're going to have to download a
pre-cooked tarball anyway.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net