Groups and roles

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Groups and roles
Date: 2003-06-06 19:21:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm looking at representing privileges granted to groups in the
information schema. For that purpose I would like to use the views that
the standard defines for "roles". Therefore I ask whether everyone agrees
that groups and roles are basically equivalent concepts (and perhaps that
we might in the future strive to make groups more compatible with the
roles as defined in the SQL standard). Or does anyone see that roles
might be implemented separately from groups sometime?

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net