test against regexp in database

From: Holger Marzen <holger(at)marzen(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: test against regexp in database
Date: 2002-11-24 12:23:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi boys and girls,

as we all know, PostgreSQL can do selects on regexps. But I'd like to
store regexps in a table with the columns "from" and "to". The "from"
column should contain email sender adresses, and the "to" column should
contain faxnumbers the user is allowed to send faxes to (mail to fax
gateway). I'd like to uses regexps as well in the "to" column, say

from to
holger(at)home(dot)de .*
you(at)aol(dot)com ^0123.*

and test against this. Of yourse I can do a select with "from=userid"
and then pipe the result through some commands that do the regexp check.
but is there a more elegant way to do this, maybe in a single select?

--
PGP/GPG Key-ID:
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB5A1AFE1