Re: Data Corruption

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
To: Massoud <footballist(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Data Corruption
Date: 2002-08-04 03:46:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Massoud dijo:

> I have been getting minor (repairable) data corruption on a
> regular basis. This is where some field's contents get
> partially changed to funny characters.
[...]

> I seriously considering downgrading to lower release of
> postgres.

Don't do that. The cases where corruption has appeared in data until
now in recent releases (say from 7.0) have always had something to do
with bad hardware; RAM, mostly.

So you better start testing memory. Probably memtest86 can help you.

"Saca el libro que tu religion considere como el indicado para encontrar la
oracion que traiga paz a tu alma. Luego rebootea el computador
y ve si funciona" (Carlos Duclos)